a decade of zanity

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rough night, Paul?



After Hours movie by Martin ScorseseTitle: After Hours (1985)

Ever had a bad night? How 'bout a bad night all night and all you're trying to do is get home, but you ended up running into your lifetime's worth of weirdos and you don't have enough money for a cab. In "After Hours", Paul Hackett (Griffin Dunne) has just that happen. He is an ordinary office worker who got entangled in mischievous events as he tried to clear his head one night after work.

This little known movie has some star powers behind it. After I had read about this movie in 2000'ish from IMDB, I was surprised that it was directed by none other than Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Departed). It's incredible how Scorsese brought out comedy in the middle of a nightmare that Paul had to endure. Perhaps the best review I've seen about the After Hours movie is in KD's blog. He explained how Scorsese constructed the turns and obstacles in details that pausing or second viewing is required, else you'll miss the full appreciation of key scenes. For his work, on "After Hours", Scorsese won best director at the Cannes Film Festival.

Although I haven't seen this movie in over 10 years, it remains in my memory as one of the gems that should be seen at least once. Armed with what to look for from online resources such as IMDB, next time I get a chance to see it, I'll be sure to pay more attention to details that I had missed (see KD's blog), but enjoyed overall.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: