Title: Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
The 80's were good for Mel Gibson. Yes, the 90's were good to him as well, but he became a mega star in the 80's. Who'd a thought that Lethal Weapon would become THE cop buddy franchise. It's a standard that lives today and will be for more movies to come.
Lethal Weapon 2 starring Mel Gibson and Danny Glover
The one stark difference to me between Lethal Weapon 2 and the original Lethal Weapon was the slapstick tone of the sequel. It seemed that Martin Riggs, the lethal weapon, had a makeover and now tried to be part of the close circle of cops around him instead of embracing his lone wolf past. He joked around with his colleagues, became attached with Roger Murtaugh's family, and even fell in love with Rika Van De Haas (played by the ever hot Patsy Kensit). Riggs was not the character that was introduced in the first Lethal Weapon.
Patsy Kensit costars in Lethal Weapon 2
Still hot: Patsy Kensit at the 2009 BAFTA TV Award
Still, despite the funnier and more endearing buddy cop relation (bromance by today's standard), Lethal Weapon 2 was memorable for Leo Getz, superbly played by Joe Pesci who went on to star in other unforgettable movies such as My Cousin Vinny and Goodfellas. I thought that Joe Pesci stole pretty much any scene he was in simply because I wanted to hear what's he gonna say next. Joe Pesci had some of his better movie quotes and funniest moments as Leo Getz.
Funny Leo Getz Quotes
- Oh okay, bad cop, bad cop. [after initially meeting Riggs and Murtaugh]
- I'm Leo Getz, and whatever you want, Leo gets.
- Okay, okay, okay, okay, this is the best part okay? You make a tax deduction on interest payments you don't even make! Am I an innovator? Am I a genius? [explaining money laundering to Riggs and Murtaugh]
- They FUCK YOU at the drive-thru!
- Hey hey hey! Listen, if we're going, shouldn't I have a gun?