Title: Ghostbusters (1984)
Whoa! It's the 25 year anniversary of Ghostbusters. I wonder why we're not hearing any celebration of this great supernatural comedy. Or is it science fiction? No matter how you view it, it's a classic 80's films.
Ghostbusters is an awesome movie to watch in the big screen. It's a special effects feast for the eyes. New York at night. Nuclear accelerators vs. Sumerian gods. Giant marshmallow man. Floating ghosts. Pretty much top of the line FX arts that hold even today.
And it balances well with the superb comic acting of Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Harold Ramis, and Rick Moranis. Also excellent is William Atherton as Walter Peck, the arrogant authority figure from the EPA looking to shutdown the Ghost Busters for code violations. Ghostbusters arguably launched Atherton's 80's career portraying arrogant figures we love to hate (Real Genius, Die Hard, Die Hard 2). Sigourney Weaver, who is best known for her tough-as-nail heroine in the Alien saga, is at her best as a soft, vulnerable, and sexy damsel in distress. Of course, the movie makers make no apology showing off her long legs.
And let's not forget that this movie also gave us the Ecto 1. It's one of the more famous pop culture movie cars.
Though not quoted as often as other 80's movies such as Batman or Terminator for instance, Ghost Busters has some of the funniest lines in cinema, delivered by the sardonic carefree scientist, Dr. Peter Venkman (played by Bill Murray).
Ghostbusters Peter Venkman Quotes
- All right! This chick is TOAST!
- Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown...
- Nimble little minx, ain't she?
- Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
- Someone blows their nose and you want to keep it?
- We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Puft's okay! He's a sailor, he's in New York; we get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble!
- So, she's a dog...
- Mother pus bucket!
- We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!
- You're right, no human being would stack books like this.
- He slimed me.
- Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
- If I'm wrong, nothing happens! We go to jail - peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if I'm *right*, and we *can* stop this thing... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.
- Yes it's true...This man has no dick.
- Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?
- She's not my girlfriend. I find her interesting because she's a client and because she sleeps above her covers... *four feet* above her covers. She barks, she drools, she claws!
I hope that brings back memories of how funny this movie really is.
Unfortunately, I don't find the sequel, Ghost Busters 2, to be as funny. Although the early part of the court scene is hilarious when the Ghost Busters were being represented by Louis Tully (played by Rick Moranis). But that was it.
I've been reading about a Ghostbusters 3 movie. The original cast members are rumored to star. I'm not thrilled over a 3rd movie. I think that Ghostbusters is a classic and should be left alone.