Title: Aliens (1986)I'm glad I got around to reviewing Aliens. It's one of my favorite movies. It's a simple, yet action pack film -- a group of US Space Marines along with Ripley as a private consultant were dispatched to investigate why a corporate colony stopped communicating with planet Earth. Sigourney Weaver reprises her soon-to-be iconic role as Ellen Ripley, the tough as nail survivor of the exploration ship Nostromo.
Aliens: Corporal Hicks (Michael Biehn) shows Ellen Ripley how to use a pulse rifle
It's a sequel to the first movie, Alien (1979), which was shot as a sci-fi horror (tagline: "In space, no one can hear you scream"). This one is sci-fi action. Definitely action. Superbly written and directed by James Cameron also known for Terminator, Titanic, etc.
I particularly like the time period. As a deep space movie, it is set before many elements of space exploration have been perfected. So there is no hyperspace travel, there is no beam-me-up technology, and there are no laser guns.
In this time setting, James Cameron excels in giving sci-fi and action fans brute force military technology modernized for a not-too-distant-future space exploration. Some gadgets are the coolest because of the raw power they project. Dropship instead of parachutes and helicopters. APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) instead of humvee. And twenty three years later, the pulse rifle is still the most badass gun in cinema. It's basically American firepower against aliens.
The best scene is when Ripley and the remaining marines were making their last stand. Everytime I watch this movie, I still flinch whenever an alien breaks through the defenses and pops out of nowhere.
Aliens Video Clip: Hudson's death scene
Also, the best character in Aliens is played by Bill Paxton. He gives a very memorable comic relief as Private Hudson, the cocky and loud-mouthed marine who's not as courageous as he sounds. He has the best lines.
Hudsons quotes in Aliens
Aliens Promo Poster
- I say we grease this rat-fuck son-of-a-bitch right now.
- What do you mean, "'They' cut the power?" How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!
- Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
- Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
- We're on an express elevator to hell; going down!
- Let's just bug out and call it even, OK?
- That's it man, game over man, game over!
- Seventeen DAYS? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen HOURS!
- Why don't you put her in charge?
- Right, right. Somebody said "alien" she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!
- They're all around us, man. Jesus!
- We're all gonna die man.
- It wasn't funny, man.