a decade of zanity

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

God is tryin to tell you something.

Movie title: The Color Purple (1985)

I saw this movie reluctantly with a bunch of friends. But since I didn't drive, I didn't have much choice. It wasn't until years later that I began to appreciate the depth of this movie. I saw it again for the second time close to 20 years later on cable. Maybe it was the negative portrayal of the Afro-American male that turned me off.

Worth noting is that Oprah is actually a pretty good actress. Her jail scene gets to me. But there are many other tear jerking scenes.

Interestingly enough, "The Color Purple" was nominated for 11 Oscar, but didn't win a single award. Steven Spielberg went on to win many more awards, but this movie should have been one of them.

Danny Glover is my linking actor from "Lethal Weapon." I had to choose between this movie or "Silverado" (1985) but I wanted to some how pay homage to Rae Dawn Chong's hotness.

Quotes from movie:

"I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it."
"The jail you plan for me is the one you're gonna rot in."
"See Daddy, sinners have souls too."
"All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!"
"Boy, you goin' let this ol' nappy-headed girl cuss you out like that? You sittin' at the head of your own dinner table and actin' like a waiter."
"I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me."
"You a low down dirty dog, that's what's wrong. Time for me to get away from you, and enter into Creation. And your dead body'd be just the welcome mat I need."
"I'm poor, black, I might even be ugly, but dear God, I'm here. I'm here."

Scene clips:

The entry title when Shug was reunited with her father after singing, "God is tryin to tell you something." Powerful scene.


Minor Part, Supporting Casts, Extras who stood out:

Lawrence Fishburne in a small role. But it's not his first role since I remember him in "Apocalypse Now" (1979).

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I thought I was the only person out there reviewing movies. Although yours is so much better than mine.

Soren said...

Thanks for the note. I visited your site as well. I like how you're reviewing movies that aren't necessarily blockbuster.

Doug Manning said...

My favorite quote from The Color Purple is:

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

www.ReelLifeWisdom.com