a decade of zanity

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hate him back; it works for me.

Title: Lethal Weapon 1987

I debated between "Lethal Weapon" 1987 and "Lethal Weapon 2 " (1989) since both were released in the 80's. There are 2 characters who stood out in LW2, Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) and Rika van den Haas (Patsy Kensit). Leo Getz because he's funny, "Okay, okay, okay, okay..." And Rika because Patsy Kensit is an exquisite beauty (here's a copy of her movie "Twenty One" 1991 on VHS.)

But I chose LW because it has a much darker Martin Riggs. In LW, he's constantly on the edge of psychosis. There's always a chance of tripping out during any confrontation that would end in a disastrous result. Having a just-as-insane Mr. Joshua (Gary Busey) on the other side of the line balanced the tension between good guys vs. bad guys. In the sequels (that should have stopped at LW2), Riggs was nowhere near as perplexing. He was too normal and became uninteresting. Am I the only one who thinks that LW Riggs would have matched up well against Jet Li's character in Lethal Weapon 4?

Mel Gibson is the linking actor from "Road Warrior."

Quotes from movie:

"Look, why don't we just the cut the shit here? We both know why I was transferred. People think I'm crazy, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to work with me. Or they think I'm faking to draw a psycho pension, in which case, I'm fucked and nobody wants to work with me. Basically, I'm fucked."
"I'm too old for this shit!",

Roger Murtaugh: Have you ever met anybody you didn't kill?
Martin Riggs: Well, I haven't killed you yet.

"When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at... Well, see you tomorrow."

Martin Riggs: You know they're going to kill her, don't you?
Roger Murtaugh: Yeah.
Martin Riggs: So if you want her back, you're going to have to take her away from them.
Roger Murtaugh: I know.
Martin Riggs: You do this my way. You shoot, you shoot to kill, get as many of them as you can. All you got to do is just not miss.
Roger Murtaugh: I won't miss.
Martin Riggs: We're going to get bloody on this one, Rog.
Roger Murtaugh: Are you really crazy? Or are you as good as you say you are?
Martin Riggs: You're just gonna have to trust me."

"General McAlister. Time for you to die.",
"Go spit."

Scene clips:

The desert scene when Murtaugh was exchanging for Rianne and Riggs began picking off the mercs.

I'm including a deleted scene that would further shed some light on Riggs dark personality. (Hey look, a pun...shed light on dark!)


Minor Part, Supporting Casts, Extras who stood out:

Jackie Swanson, the hot babe who jumped at the beginning of the movie.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: