a decade of zanity

Sunday, April 22, 2007

May the schwartz be with you!

Title: Spaceballs (1987)

I love spoofs. The 80's had a whole collection of comedies that spoofed movies. We already saw two of them in "Airplane" (1980) and "Naked Gun" (1988). Here's another one. This time from Mel Brooks. "Spaceballs" spoofed various science fiction movies, namely "Star Wars", "Alien", and "Planet of the Apes". The cast of characters were great. Rick Moranis played a very funny Dark Helmet (Darth Vader) and Mel Brooks played Yogurt (Yoda), John Candy was hilarious as Barf (Chewbaca). Bill Pullman played Lone Starr (suppose to be Han Solo, but he looks like Starbuck from the TV Battlestar Galactica).

Memorable quotes:

"I bet she gives great helmet."

"We're gonna have go right to... ludicrous speed."

"I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend!"

"Oh, my God. It's Mega Maid. She's gone from suck to blow."

Memorable Scene from movie:

Almost all the scenes with Dark Helmet are funny enough to be remembered. But I got a kick from the dancing Alien spoofing "Alien". See video.

The linking actor for this movie and "Bachelor Party" is Robert Prescott. I was going to review "Real Genius" where he played Kent Torokvei, the kiss ass blonde student. "Real Genius" was another 80s comedy classic that I hope I'll get a chance to review.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was too funny. They don't make parodies quite the same any longer.

Soren said...

You're right. I read enough posts from IMDB on how the 80's had genres that are hard to copy.